Sunday, October 01, 2006

What's old, grey and cracked?!

You are going to get quite familiar with this stuff over the next few weeks! In fact, those of you who are going on the Dales fieldtrip in November will be getting close up views of this very spot.


The rest of you who are going in March might be lucky enough to get a view of this location in the wonderful snowy conditions we had last year at that time.


You will shortly realise that I love limestone scenery - possibly because it is quite unlike anything we have in Scotland! However, this means that it will be VERY new to all of you. In the Lithosphere section to date we have been looking at glaciated scenery which is familiar territory from Standard Grade. You don't have prior learning of limestone to fall back on so my message is to pay attention, use your textbook, keep your notes in order and read the blog!

You might like to get a head start by investigating this excellent on-line resource ....
Click on the banner above and you will link to BBC Scotland's upland limestone resource. It contains a huge amount of material so don't be daunted by it! I promise it will all slowly start to make sense.

P.S. I went to see 'An Inconvenient Truth' (ref previous post) last night and I would thoroughly recommend it.