
When we were at the YDNP visitor centre at Malham this weekend, I picked up a leaflet about a new website which has been produced by the YDNP with the assistance of the Heritage Lottery Fund. It claims to "offer a window into the archaology and history of this beautiful area and its place in the landscape". As you will know from what I've been saying in class, I do believe that the landscape of the Dales owes as much to the history of human land use in the area as it does to nature.
I have now had time to look at the website (click the image above to link) and I'm really impressed with the resources which it contains. You might like to begin with the section on geological timelines where there are excellent descriptions of the geology, the effects of the Ice Age and the formation of karst features. On the same page there is a link to a short video called 'The Landscape through time" which looks at how the landscape around Malham Cove has changed since the Ice Age. In the 'Themes' section there is also a succinct description of the evolution of farming in the Dales .
And on a different note... here are the drumlins in Ribblesdale which you may recall me getting out of the coach yesterday to 'snap'. Although you seemed singularly unimpressed, they are one of the best drumlin swarms in England!!


